Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Nope, Venting There Isn't Helping.

This is the video I was talking about earlier. There is a TON of great things to talk about in this video, but I'm going to restrict my comments to a few areas.  1) Conditions at the start; 2)The statements about the roof (1:25); 3) the Venting of Division A (4:05 mark)



Okay, this is a prime example of smoke conditions telling you that you are losing at the get-go.  The smoke is pushing out of here in a violent manner.  Dave Dodson talks about Velocity, Volume, and Density.  THEY ARE ALL HERE! This thing is structural and ready to flash.  Then we get to the commentary about the Roof being unstable.  There is a rule I learned at 15 years-old when I started hanging out in firehouses, "If you can't be on it, you shouldn't be under it."  In other words, if the roof is too unstable for vertical ventilation then it isn't safe to be underneath.  After all, when was the last time you saw a rood collapse upwards?  Next let's look at what happens at the 4:05 mark when the Division A window gets vented.  The front room finally gets enough good air to light up.  Watch how the fire quickly extends to the smoke over the heads of the members on the front porch.  Smoke is FUEL!  

As always I am not criticizing the actions of anyone on the scene.  I don't know what orders were given, only what I see in the video.  Just throw this one up at roll-call and get some conversation going.

No comments:

Post a Comment