Thursday, November 4, 2010

Odds and Ends

First let me thank everyone who has been reading, commenting on, and emailing me about my post of Victim Survivability Profiling.  It seems that the last week it has made some pretty wide rounds and I am grateful to all of you who have given it a read.

This week has been a busy one.  I presented the three-hour version of Situational Awareness & Fireground Tactical Decision Making for MABAS Division 10 in western Cook and eastern DuPage Counties.  With the students who came through this week I have had over 400 students through the class.  It has been really rewarding.  Thanks to all of the departments and divisions that have hosted the class.  Be looking for information soon about open enrollment courses!  I am working with a few departments to schedule host sites for classes that will be open enrollment.

This week also brought the copy edited version of my book, The Ready Position, to my door for me to do an "Author's Review".  This being my first book I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.  I was not surprised to see that there were some changes made, most of them fitting and appropriate, cleaning up my language without changing my meaning.  I tend to write the way I talk, which works in this format, but for a formal TEXTBOOK I suppose it may not be 100% appropriate.  I did have to do some tweaking of their edits (like changing their edit of journeyperson back to journeyman.  A journey-person sounds like someone who should be walking around with a mullet and acid washed jeans.  However after three long nights of reading I went through all 280+ pages of text and I am looking forward to seeing the galleys in six to seven weeks.

Be looking for some additional commentary on the VSP issue as well as my thoughts on progressive ways to deal with the budgetary crises that many of our departments and municipalities are facing in the coming weeks.  Again, thanks to everyone out there reading and sending the links around.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment