Monday, January 10, 2011

What Are Your Bad Habits?

So I gave myself a new rule, "No looking at the computer after 10pm."  I decided that I didn't need to start reading things 10 minutes before bed that got my brain turning over a problem to the point where I have to get out of bed and go write.  I love writing.  I love thinking about how to be the best possible Fire Service Warrior.  However, I also like getting a full night's sleep.  Then this comment was posted at 9:45 tonight in response to Manifestos Seem So Unabomber...

Great posts as always. I'm a little confused about who made the CPAT suggestion as an annual fitness test.

At any rate, I disagree. I think we should set the standards higher.

The CPAT is an absolute joke. No offense. It's a highly political test, set to the lowest possible standard.

I've seen plenty of fat bodies (and small bodies) pass the CPAT, often barely.

If we truly want to embrace the the physical culture of the warrior ethos we must hold our people to a much higher standard. Something along the lines of passing the Combat challenge in full PPE on air (to a single time standard, non gender specific) would be a much better standard to hold ourselves.

Remember, if we want to call ourselves WARRIORS...we must walk the talk, and most importantly respect those who truly ARE warriors and must continually earn the right to maintain that title.

You don't see many lardass SEALS, Rangers, Recon Marines, PJ's, or SF guys out there. They meet the physical performance standards continuously through the training pipeline and into their careers, or they don't make the cut, PERIOD!!!  - TravisR.



First the suggestion that the CPAT be an annual exam was mine.  I agree with Travis that it is a minimum standard.  It is a minimum standard though that two major Fire Service organizations have agreed upon.  If we could get it made a minimum requirement for continued operational time riding on an Engine, Truck, Squad, Rescue, or other line company, a requirement for anyone who is going to wear an SCBA, I would venture to guess that we would see a reduction in Line of Duty Deaths because of Heart Attack and Stroke.  Having a minimum fitness standard of any sort that we expect people to meet would help us start building a culture of fitness in the Fire Service.

The work of Barbara Ainsworth on Metabolic Work shows us that Firefighters expend metabolic energy at the same level as Navy SEAL Combat Swimmers, and professional boxers.  We wrap ourselves up in turnout gear and SCBA and perform a combat mission every time we enter a burning building. While I would love to see everyone of us reach an elite level of fitness, I also think we have to do a reasonable task analysis to define what that level must be at a minimum level.  The CPAT has done a reasonable job of setting that standard. 

What we need to do is work on eliminating the culture of mediocrity that pervades firehouses.


Aristotle said, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit."  Are you making a habit of excellence? Are you thinking every day about how to improve yourself as a firefighter?  How to help the team?  That's what we are talking about when we say someone is a good Brother or Sister.  There are far too many people who worry about themselves first in this world, and we have our share of them in the fire service.  Folks who will talk long and hard about how they are owed consideration, respect, or deference for a host of reasons: rank, time-in-grade, seniority.

I've noticed an interesting thing in my travels, those folks who make excellence a habit in their lives don't demand respect of others; they don't think they are owed anything.  They demand much of them self, but when it comes time to go to work they earn the respect of their co-workers, junior or senior, their leaders, and their subordinates by being great at what they do.  So, are you cultivating excellence as a habit?  If you haven't, it isn't too late.  It's a new year. 

Step up to the plate: work out, so you are more likely to go home when your shift is over; drive like a responsible human being and wear your seat belt; wear your SCBA - I speak from the experience of seeing cancer first hand it sucks - we are killing far more Brothers and Sisters from occupational cancer than we are in flashovers and collapses; Train every day. 

It's a new year.  Make it your resolution to be a Fire Service Warrior.  Be Ready.




6 comments:

  1. Chris, sorry for keeping you up.

    Thanks for the clarification. Agree on some updated and clarified points, disagree on others. The CPAT is a sticking point for me. I think we can do better, especially as an entry level exam.

    Definitely a good starting point to get it as an annual requirement to help start lay the bar higher.

    I think we're definitely starting to do better with our conditioning. High intensity, functional fitness, PFTs, and wellness initiatives have helped greatly, I believe.

    I'm no expert though. Just passionate.

    I still love your blog...keep up the great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    After sleeping on it and deciding I can’t go without saying anything, I’ve decided to add a little more to my initial response.

    First, I wanted to reiterate the fact I agree the CPAT would be a good starting point/minimum standard. A good starting point. I still don’t think it is enough. We work in our bunker gear, on air. We don’t work in tennis shoes, track pants and fuckin’ Jack LaLane weight vests.

    Our performance should be measured in bunker gear, on air. This should include task by task completion, as well as a measurement of time elapsed to low air alarm, and time to end of cycle, with a full measurement of liters per minute consumption, to be measured annually. Is this a high ideal…fuck yes it is, we should have high standards…can we achieve it? It will take a lot of work.

    I don’t give a shit if the IAFF and IAFC have signed off on the CPAT. Major organizations have conceded and signed off on things that were supposed to benefit us in the past, and have bitten us in the ass, and taken us away from the mission. Look at 2 in/2 out. I don’t give a rats ass if they want to avoid liability, cut costs or streamline the testing process.

    I don’t care if entry level candidates don’t have any experience with an SCBA or bunker gear. Better to find out now if this is cut out for them, and if they have the heart to withstand the hardship of working hard in gear. That’s where your 12 METS should come from.

    The fact a bunch of chiefs and union officials signed off on it means nothing to me, the line fireman. Or my officer.

    At my fire department we’ve fired three probationers in the past several years, because they PHYSICALLY COULD NOT DO THE JOB.

    Guess what test they took, and passed? I think we already know.

    Am I the only person who thinks there is something wrong with this?

    Hell, I know there is something wrong with this. A few years ago, I passed the CPAT., with flying colors. A few weeks later I went to Yakima and got my ass handed to me in their ENTRY LEVEL examination, which happened to be the firefighter combat challenge. Full PPE, SCBA on air.

    It was then I realized the CPAT was bullshit. I made a change to my training that day. I was hired with a different department a month later, and thanks to a head start doing CrossFit I was able to make my way through academy. I still had a ways to go and have since have turned a weakness into a strength. If it wasn’t for Yakima, I wouldn’t be here having a discussion with you.

    And guess what? Yakima has nothing but a bunch of hard piping fireman…a bunch of meat eating carnivores. They haven’t fallen prey to the political bullshit.

    (FYI – two of the guys in my academy were fired primarily for being OUT OF SHAPE. They passed the CPAT with ease)

    I also have worked occasionally as a proctor as a CPAT. Guess what the biggest grumbles amongst the proctors is?

    A) This test is bullshit.
    B) This or that clown will get his ass handed to him in academy if he gets hired.

    I only have my experience, and that of others. And passion for the job. The CPAT is not about passion. It’s straight up safe and sterile, and another representation of the pussification of the fire service.

    I don’t have any references, quotes, or research to give you. I have shit to do, like bang the old lady, spend time training, reading my endless stack of fire service literature, and enjoy life in general.

    If you want to continue to defend the CPAT, that’s fine by me. I’ll be making a Chicago trip this year (I grew up in Naperville)…maybe we can meet up and do a burpee contest…we’ll see how fuckin’ hard your CPAT has made you. Loser buys beer. And Ice cream. I love Ice cream.

    (and p.s. – I still love your blog…keep up the great work)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travis, your an animal and I love your passion, Brother.

    I agree with you 100% that the CPAT is not an completely adequate predictor of the fitness level to accomplish this job. My point is that if we want to start moving away from a culture where fitness is defined as lifting the remote control we have to move in stages. The CPAT (while not the end all be all) IS recognized by the IAFF and IAFC as a valid protocol. It's a starting point.

    I think everyone on the job should be able to do a bar-muscle up in full gear, have a Sub 5 minute Fran, a sub 40 minute Murph, and be able to deadlift the weight of the heaviest guy or gal on the job in full gear. (I'm not there yet myself, my muscle up is non-existant, my fran is 7 minutes and my murph is 50. I can deadlift 405 for singles though so I have that going for me). Maybe now that CrossFit has gotten ISO Certified we can start selling it more widely in the fire service. We are on the same page brother, I am just trying to offer up steps to get where we are going. It is about changing a culture. You won't get everyone to believe they have to operate at the level of a Navy SEAL overnight. Thanks for the conversation and when you are in Chicago we do a hopper deck card and the looser buys. I like my Guinness. Slainte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I agree with the idea that you are more likely to go home if...... That seems a bit self-centered to me. How bout the obligation we have to each other to be fit? What about the fact that when one of us, in spite of our training, experience and best efforts, gets lost, seperated from the company, falls through the floor etc... That member will depend on us for their continued existance. Don't we have that obligation to each other? To maintain a level of fitness required to honor that obligation? No one else will come to help, it's us and no one else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Art,
    You are 100% right about the duty we owe to our Brothers and Sisters. Next week I'm going to take up what the topic of Brotherhood really means to me. I think we're on the same page.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,

    A little late response on this, but I combed over the METS study you linked on here. Very good stuff, very interesting.

    In looking at it, I think she did a good job of painting a general picture of the workloads we encounter.

    I'm pretty certain our METS during peak activities (humping hose in a hot building, victim/firefighter drags and rescues, one man ladder throws, etc.) are much higher than 12 METS.

    For example, the METS production for rowing vigorously @ 200 watts is 12. Since I know you're a CrossFitter as well, you probably know that while rowing @ 200 watts is no walk in the park, it's definitely not a peak effort number. I've topped 600+ on intervals before. Not something that is sustainable for long periods of time, but definitely short bursts of extremely intense work which certainly would translate well over to what we do on the fireground.

    Anyways, just thought I'd share my musings on the study. It's very good stuff - and definitely illustrates the point we need to train our asses off!

    ReplyDelete