Monday, March 14, 2011

And now for something completely different...

We are moving the weekly video blog to Mondays!  I think that it will give each of us something to think about for the week, and to be honest it gives me some extra time to get everything put together.  Believe it or not shooting and editing these things takes time.  Hopefully when the new high-speed/low-drag laptop shows up this week I will be able to get it done a bit faster... but we will see.  For now, here is Episode 9 of the Video Blog.



One drill that I really like to use is the Line of Duty Death Book Report.  I learned this from my fellow instructors at the Illinois Fire Service Institute.  I have used it in classes and find it to be a good tool for learning lessons.  Simply chose a firefighter fatality and have a member or two from your crew research the LODD.  Have them put together s brief report and a 5-10 minute presentaion on what occured, and the lessons learned.  Try to attach the NAME of the fallen Brother or Sister to the report.  I think we take these reports more seriously when we can put a name and a face to it.  Honor our fallen by learning from the events that brought about their deaths.  Strive to be prepared every day for this job.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment