Friday, March 11, 2011

Speaking of Culture Change

So, because of some technical difficulties I did not get to shoot a FSW Video Blog this week.  Sorry, but I will be back with one next week (once my new Laptop arrives).

For today I thought I would take up the discussion of Culture Change we here so much about these days.  It is the first point in the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Life Safety Initiatives, we see blogs and articles demanding this need on a regular basis.  I've said before my issue with that statement is that it is vague.  It is an amorphous blob of an idea that can swallow up and tactic, technique, or procedure that people want to label as unsafe, hazardous, or inappropriate.  So I'm going to ask you the read, of the two following videos, which one shows a culture we should be changing in the American (the World?) fire service.

Option 1


Option 2



You be the judge.  I bet you can all guess which one I think needs changing.

2 comments:

  1. "Do as I say, not as I do". Reminds me of a conversation I had with a senior firefighter about his actions at an alarm. He rolled his eyes, "Come on, I didn't need to...(wear my pack, wear my hood, wear my seat belt, wear my gear...you can insert culture safety change topic here too if you want)". I responded saying, "I know, you're right. You didn't need to (do that), but that's because you understand and accept the risks of your (reckless) behavior, and I can't change you. My concern is the probie that watches what you do, sees that everyone celebrates your brass balls, and attempts to imitate you and everything you do, without understanding the risks. When he gets hurt, whose fault is that?" No quick come back. No quippy one-liner. No fire service cliche thrown back in my face. I never told anyone about that conversation, but this post has me brewing.

    What I would like to see is a culture change for personal responsibility for how MY actions will affect those around me. Wait a second...I think I read something in an ETHOS once...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Peter Lee here 100%. Well said. Amongst the myriad of safety issues witnessed in the first video, let's not forget the obvious: PHYSICAL FITNESS. It's readily apparent towards the end of the video when all the guys are helping the "hero." Let's get in the gym, take care of ourselves so we may take care of our Brothers.

    Stay safe fellas'

    ReplyDelete