Friday, May 6, 2011

These Aren't the Droids You are Looking For....

So you might think, based upon my post from Friday April  You Don't Know, What You Don't Know that I was prescient.  Two days before the US Navy SEALs engage in a daring, high-risk, mission to capture (or kill) Usama Bin Laden I am posting about how they have back up plans for every possible failure (like a helicopter crashing say) and using them as an example of great mission planning.  We will chalk that up to coincidence.  The fact of the matter is my hat is off to those men who pulled that mission off. 

I have gotten some static from folks who take umbrage with my drawing parallels between the fire service and an elite unit such as the SEALs.  I've been told that our job isn't that hard.  I've been told that it is unreasonable to hold firefighters to the same standards of fitness and professional education that SEALs are held to.  I've been told that I just have a boy-crush on such capable performers.

I suppose the fact of the matter is I do look up to anyone who chooses to commit fully to a mission as arduous, dangerous, and demanding as the members of the military Special Operations Community do.  I've had the honor of knowing several current and former members of the: SEALs, Army Special Forces, Force Recon Marines, Navy and Air Force EOD, as well as men who served in the types of Tier 1 units who are assigned missions like the one which happened on Sunday.  Over the course of several years I had the honor of supporting exercises that men from those communities participated in, I have taught with them, and shared an adult beverage with them.  The thing that always struck me is that they are men who are consummate professionals, humble and quick to point out how they are simply part of a team.

I understand why people want to say that I am just being melodramatic when I draw parallels between what firefighters do and what members of such elite units do.  They know they couldn't live up to that standard.

The facts are out there:
  • Firefighters expend metabolic energy at the same level as Navy SEALS and professional boxers. (See Chapter 2 in The Combat Position for all the details)
  • Firefighters operate in an environment where the UNKNOWN is an ever present threat.
  • Firefighters operate in zero visibility environments, with limited knowledge, under circumstances that engage our sympathetic nervous system, and must PERFORM in a thoughtful manner there.
I'll be 100% honest; I think we are far more lucky in the fire service than we are good, most of the time.  How many firefighters do you know personally who are lugging around the weight of two human beings?  How many firefighters do you know who will say, "Training is a waste of time, we know what to do."  How many firefighters do you know who would much rather focus on their side job then they would focus on our trade?  How many firefighters do you know who make it a part of their life to intensely prepare for the physical demands of the fireground and engage in physical fitness like a professional athlete? 

We are all human and we all have days where our commitment wavers or the pressure of our lives starts to take over, but that is what Brotherhood is all about.  If I lose focus on being prepared, on being Combat Ready, then I hope that my Brothers and Sisters will kick me in the ass to get back in the gym or back on the training ground.

If we are going to quit paying lip service to the reducing fire ground injuries and firefighter fatalities then we need to start making sure we are prepared to THRIVE on the fire ground.  We need to get out there and practice what to do when things go wrong.
  • What is plan B when fire conditions are worsening and you cannot reach command on the radio?
  • What will you do if you are searching a bedroom on the floor above the fire and return to the hallway and your partner isn't there?
  • What will you when you arrive on scene for the automatic alarm at the high rise and fire is pushing out of two windows on the 13th floor?
If any of these questions stump you then you are not preparing to thrive.  The time has come for us to quit pretending that our job can be made safe, that we can achieve a day where "Everyone Goes Home" (unless "Home" is a reunification with the divine creation... there I said it), and that anyone who is not committed to excelling in the most threatening environment we operate in is putting their life and the lives of the people on their crew (not to mention the neighbors we protect) in greater danger of being killed or injured.

The time has come for each and everyone of us to own our responsibility to be the best we can be.  Everyday is a training day.  Everyday is an opportunity to work on improving your physical capacity.  Everyday is another day to take a step forward.  It doesn't matter if you are in your first year in the fire service, your tenth year in the fire service, or in your thirtieth year in the fire service you can choose today to make the day that you become better than your previous self.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve been following your blog for a few weeks now and as a seasoned Firefighter assigned to busy engine company’s throughout my career, I can say you’re right on point with this one. Actually I’ve been thinking about the many close calls I personally experienced through the years and how Lucky I’ve been, this is not to say I haven’t paid a price. I dig what you’re doing here Brother, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOOYAH CHRIS! Well said Brother! Keep up the good work-

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..."more lucky than good..." is 100% right on Chris. So tired of hearing about how "we already know that" from all of our "seasoned" veterans. The only thing some of these guys are seasoned on is the BBQ grill out back. If NFL players had the same attitude that many fire department "employees" have, how awful would it be watching the big game on Sunday? If those Navy SEAL warriors had the same attitude, how different would our headlines read this week? The fact is we have kids in the friggin' high school marching band that are more trained and better disciplined than some of our firemen! Are you kidding me!?!?!?! A 9th grader practices playing the trombone more than we drill on rescuing a civilian???? That is embarrassing and unacceptable! Anyone that thinks different should seriously get a clue! Oh,...and comparing elite special forces operators to firemen is not a melodramatic, boy crush... it's just a regular crush! Ha! Those guys are devoted to the mission! We could only wish to have their fortitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could not agree more with the article and comments! Keep up the great work I look forward to reading your daily post.

    ReplyDelete