Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tactical Thoughts - Waiting for the Engine

This is a pretty good video I found.  The video starts before the apparatus arrive on scene and allows us to take note of the "Big Three" of size up: Building Construction, Fire Location, and Fire Development.  Watch the video and then let's discuss.





So, what's your size up?

My inital radio report would be: Two story frame garden apartment, 200x50, fire on the top floor, looks like it's getting into the attic.  Now, I can't see the whole building so I am guessing more or less at the 200, but based on what I'm seeing on the right side of the frame I am expecting that there is as much building again on the left.  50 feet may be generous on the depth, but for sure I need one length to get front to back so that's one of those "close enough for government work," sort of estimates.   This maybe a lightweight building.  Without having seen the building built I have to assume it may be fully or partially lightweight (Fully to me mean floors and roof system, partially means likely just the roof).

This is an interesting video because it shows us what situations can be like if we have folks respond to the scene in Personal Vehicles.  You have Firefighters waiting to go to work until apparatus are there.  So what can you do while you are waiting to get water?

With a partner you can ascend the interior stairs and assess conditions in the stairwell.  IF the involved apartment door is closed you may be able to make a quick check on the apartment across the hall to ensure it is clear.  It should be noted that is a tactic that potentially may result in you being caught off by fire if the door to the involved apartment fails.  If you elect to check the apartment across the hall without a line on the fire floor do it as though it was a Vent Enter Search operation: Get the door closed to the apartment as soon as you enter to give yourself an area of safe refuge. If you are going to make that search before the Engine gets there it should be done with an experienced crew who can adequately judge conditions and who have full PPE including SCBA.  Tactically that is a choice that is a very high risk evolution and the risk/benefit analysis has to be in the forefront.

Evacuating the adjoining apartments that are not served by the stairwell leading to the fire floor should be a priority.  While there is likely double 5/8" drywall separating the units there is a very high likelihood of a common attic here.  We can see how as the fire progresses that smoke and heat push through out the attic space toward the "D" side (the right side of the frame).  We need to get up to the fire floor and get the ceiling opened immediately with the advancement of the hoseline.  OPEN THE HALLWAY CEILING AND MAKE SURE THE FIRE IS NOT ABOVE YOUR HEAD ALREADY.

While I am not a huge proponent of the Transitional Attack, IF I pulled up here with a three person Engine Company (or less) and IF I made sure the door to the involved apartment was closed and IF there were no reports of a victim in the involved apartment I would consider knocking this down with a 30 second deck gun/monitor stream while the nozzle team was leading out.  I think one of the problems with the transitional attack is that we end up with a lot of steam conversion and expansion that reduces the survivability of victims who may be in the path of that steam.  The "pushing fire" concern is less important to me because if we are limiting ourselves to a 30 second flow of water I will not entrain much air. 

All in all I think this fire was handled well.  Once there was an Engine on scene water was on the fire quickly, ladders were thrown, and it seems from the angle I viewed that the situational was handled with a relative calm.  Yes, I noted several folks not making full use of their PPE and I assume they were counseled by their supervisors.

No comments:

Post a Comment