Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Combat Ready Company Officer- Knowing Who You Are and Who You’re Not


By: Brian Brush

If you are the type of firefighter visiting this site, than more than once you have felt or heard this directed at you “Who the hell does that guy think he is?” I know all too well that at times there can be a certain conflict between being a proud professional and being among your peers in the firehouse; I just can’t understand why it is so powerful. It wasn’t until this year when I was given the opportunity to present at FDIC that I put sharing my message and experience ahead of what my nay saying peers might think. 14 years in the fire service before I really stood up? I guess I wasn’t quite the proud firefighter I thought I was by letting perception limit my opportunities. I now wonder if I will ever be able to look back.
I am not perfect –I will have bad days, I will miss work outs, I will let my frustrations show and my emotions run my mouth. I will recover from these points because I know that you do not always have to be in front to be the leader. You do not have to be the best, but you must always be looking to be better. We all know perfection is not possible so just be what you believe, an example of your expectations of others. Your greatest accomplishments and proudest moments should leave you wanting more. Your darkest days and lowest points should lead to introspection and be fuel to counter the downward spiral. I am not perfect but I am still a fire service warrior and I am accountable to you as much as myself (Loyalty). I am not perfect, I am real and true, and that is the model of the Fire Service Warrior.   
I am always a firefighter- We acknowledge that we need balance. Family, hobbies, other passions in your life will, and must, take you away from this profession. The last thing we wish to see is that a fanaticism about the fire service leads you down a road of burnout. It is healthy, necessary and understood that you have a life outside the fire service. At the same time we should never be ashamed of the fact that we choose to use time outside of the department to study or prepare. I have made the defensive statement before that “I have a life outside the fire service”. It is a weak and transparent attempt to down play how much I really care in front of the guys at the station and I regret it. The conscious choice to use personal time for the fire service should be a sign that you have found your calling. The fire service has instilled in me a commitment to serving others as I would my neighbors. This makes me a more active member in my community and charity work, be it coaching 4 year old soccer, or spending hours planning, traveling and supporting the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Memorial Stair Climb Campaign. My ethical standards and virtues mirror those of the fire service warrior ethos. I do have a life outside the fire service; the reason why I enjoy it so much is because I am a proud firefighter and see such personal and professional reward from my life’s work. In Jim Cramer’s book “Confessions of a Street Addict” he describes how the all consuming world of running a hedge fund cost him friends, his health and nearly his family as greed and money became his moral compass. I know that for me personally the more I allow for the true ideals of the fire service to influence my life the better father, husband, and firefighter I become.
I am capable of making change- Today I regret the many years of holding back. In such a short time I have recognized that the more you give to this profession the more you get back. I wrote “Being your Best is Their Best Chance” over a year ago as a note to myself. After looking at it for about a month I shared it through email with a close group of friends and was immediately taken aback by the response but once again tabled it. After FDIC I was feeling strong and chose to share it within an email to Bobby Halton. Chief Halton took the piece and made it an online article which has since been republished in 4 languages for other publications both print and online. I still get friend requests on Facebook from German firefighters and through rough translation I think they like what I have to say. Taking your message, beliefs and experiences beyond your notebook or company comes with certain risks like ridicule and rejection. If we do not take chances we may never see rewards and we will certainly never see true progress. I am telling you right now that you must stand up and be what you believe because without moving there can be no movement.
I am not alone- You may be the only Fire Service Warrior in your company, department or community college fire science class but you are not alone. Across the fire service today we are coming together in CrossFit Boxes, corners at FDIC, hands on training classes, FOOLS chapters, and on the internet.  If you haven’t completely bought into the Fire Service Warrior ideal yet that is fine too. This isn’t about complete subscription and imitation, the idea is not for everyone; you do not need to tattoo yourself with the Fire Service Warrior logo. I understand if you disagree with a label or title but I cannot understand how any true fire service professional could disagree with the example that is the Fire Service Warrior Ethos. This is about commitment, understanding, and example. I am committed to being the person I outlined above with an understanding that things will change and there will be breaks. I am committed to being a Fire Service Warrior with an understanding that I might have a slightly different view of how to apply the Ethos Statement than Christopher Brennan does. The commitment to the Ethos is universal, the living example is individual. You will find your model for the Fire Service Warrior; together we will expand the message.  Please get involved with us. We cannot pollute the fire service we are so proud of by creating celebrities and fans. If we are brothers and sisters we should model it. Regardless of department size, rank, or call volume we will not stand for a varsity and JV mind set, we will stand side by side. Help those that you can and contact those who can help you without reservations. thefireservicewarrior@gmail.com
I know who I am and who I’m not today. This has changed over the years and will continue to with age and experience. Please commit to become a student of yourself when you commit to being a student of this profession. You should be your fiercest critic; the personal accountability that comes with examining your own behavior will draw things from and drive you further than you ever thought possible. Chronicle your work, goals, feelings and challenges. Within them you will find your map, vehicle and fuel to the person you aspire to be.

©2011 Brian E, Brush

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff, I tweeted it, and Im going to print it out and post it in the firehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful post and linked article Brian. Thanks for posting. I will be sending both to everybody in our station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strong work! It takes a great deal of intestinal fortitude for a firefighter to look at himself in the mirror, evaluate what he/she sees truthfully, and then see what can be improved. Thanks for your words Brian.

    ReplyDelete