Friday, June 3, 2011

Modes of Operation

I know I usually do video posts on Wednesdays, but I saw this and thought it would make a good tactical discussion.  Watch the video below before moving into the rest of the piece.  Pay attention to the big three of size up, Building Construction, Fire Location, Fire Development.



Given your staffing, response time, still district, etc, what mode of operations would you use to attack this fire?  I bring this up because this is a fire that could go a couple of different ways.

We have four basic choices for operating modes:
  • Offensive (Enter the fire building)
  • Transitional (Blitz/Quick Water attack prior to making entry)
  • Defensive (Exterior attack)
  • Non-Intervention (No attack)
We can rule out non-intervention once we have an Engine Company apparatus on scene.  So, what mode of operations would you use for this fire.  I'll post my thoughts in the comments Monday, but let's get some discussion going here.  You folks post your choice for a mode of operation and why in the comments.  

1 comment:

  1. At work we are blessed with manpower. This would be an offensive fire due to the conditions on arrival. Although the dwelling is well involved on the C/D corner, the A side is tenable on the 1st and 2nd floor. I'd enter the front with an attack line to hit the fire and protect the search group, place a 2nd line upstairs to stop the extension from the windows auto-exposing on the 1st floor. This can be a win.

    At my combo department I serve, the situation may be different. Daytime, middle of the week, no idea of the manpower on the initial dispatch outside of the 5 career guys...Lots of room to get bit if you are too aggressive with too little initial resources. I'd have to go with a transitional attack in this setting.

    Of course, I've had time to sit in a recliner, watch it a few times and then make my choices at my own leisure.

    ReplyDelete